Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.

Envoy: 4.2 liter, 4wd, regular version (not extended)..Leveling

Customer Question

I have an 02 Envoy, 4.2 liter, 4wd, regular version (not extended). The Load Leveling system will not work consistently. Goes up, then flat for days. When we put it in the garage, it will level, then as soon as we drive it, it goes flat. I saw your response to the July 08 question concerning an 02 Denali. Is the trouble shooting similar for an 02 Envoy? Car is ok otherwise. 100k highway miles on the car.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Trim Height Uneven or Low

Step

Action

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Suspension Controls Schematics

1

Did you perform the Air Suspension Diagnostic System Check?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Air Suspension

2

Did you review the Air Suspension Description and Operation?

Go to Step 3

Go to Air Suspension Description and Operation

3

Perform a visual inspection checking for the following:

Disconnected or damaged air lines.
Disconnected or damaged air sensor link.
Disconnected or damaged electrical harness.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 4

4

Cycle the rear compartment inflator switch.

Does the compressor operate?

Go to Step 5

Go to Inflator Inoperative

5

Check the vehicle D-height . Refer to Trim Height Specifications and Trim Height Inspection .

Are the measurements within the specified values?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 7

6

Perform the air suspension air leak diagnosis. Refer to Air Suspension Air Leak Diagnosis .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 10

System OK

7

Recalibrate the air suspension level sensors. Refer to Rear Air Spring Level Sensor Calibration .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 8

8

Replace the air spring sensor. Refer to Air Spring Leveling Sensor Replacement .

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 9

9

1. Subtract the Service Preferred Trim Height specification from the value obtained in step 12 of the Air Spring Leveling Sensor replacement procedure.
  2. Add the value to the Service Preferred Trim Height specification. This is the adjusted D-Height measurement.
  3. Repeat the Air Spring Calibration procedure using this value in place of the D-Height specification in step 7 of the Air Spring Calibration procedure.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 10

--

10

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?

System OK

--

Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience: GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

None of the links allow access. How do I get the information in the links?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Which links do you need and I can send them on over? I didn't send them all as that would take awhile.
Dan, Auto Service Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Dan, thanks for your help. Just an fyi, I live in Michigan, and it's about 25 degrees outside, so this is likely a weekend job for me. That's why it took so long to get back.

Right now, I suspect that I would need to review the following links:

Diagnostic System Check - Air Suspension

Air Suspension Description and Operation

Rear Air Spring Level Sensor Calibration

Air Spring Leveling Sensor Replacement.

I am familiar with the Air Suspension, but the link info might be helpful to the repair, assuming sending same not too much trouble.

The inflator works. I can hear the compressor kick on. Twice in the last two weeks it has inflated, stayed inflated for a few hours, then deflates, so we know the compressor works.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dan, I NEVER received an answer on how to get the information contained in the links above.

I have PAID twice, but only received ONE answer. Please advise on how I can get the information contained in the links.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, let me gather them all up and send them over. Sorry about the delayed response but I have been away. Please be patient and we will get this matter resolved.