automstr
automstr, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE master tech
8300270

I have a 2004 Acura MDX. I bought it used 4 mos. ago.

I have a 2004 Acura MDX. I bought it used 4 mos. ago. The first time I used the parking brake upon releasing it I began to drive and got this loud screaching noise.I brought it to my mechanic who was able to free it up.Now today having not used the brake since,the loud screaching noise came back while just driving.No warning light has come on .What should be my next course of action ?If the brake needs replacement any idea of cost? Sandy N.Y.
Category: Car
Expert:  automstr replied 8 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I'm acuramstr. the parking brake is a set of shoes inside the rear brake disc they can get rusty with time and stick .But if you havent used the parking brake lately it could be the regular rear pads that are worn-out .They have a device that makes noise when the lining is worn. As far as cost goes in my shop rear brakes run about $189.00 and the parking brake lining about $225.00 .however I cant see your brakes and you may need other parts, cables ect. so these estimates are only educated guesses. If there is anything else I can help you with let me know .