Online Wrench
Online Wrench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, Asian and Domestic Specialist

How do I fix the main hood latch in my 4 door 1994 geo prism?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Online Wrench replied 7 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to! What seems to be malfunctioning? I will be glad to help you if you can describe the situation with a bit more detail. Thank You
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I release the hood from inside the car, it pops the main latch open but now the latch won't close when I shut the hood. Also, the when i pull the main latch inside the car, the switch stays sticking out and doesn't go back down like it did when it worked good.

Ok. The best way I have found to fix this issue is to lube up the latch under the hood with a good penetrating oil. Then work the latch open/close/open/close/open/close, until the latch is working good. These latches just get a little stick after a while. If you have any problems/questions, or need further assistance I will be glad to help. If this information was helpful, please click the ACCEPT button. Thank You!

Feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I sprayed the latch part earlier in an attempt to fix it but that didn't work. What did work however was to spray the latch release from inside the car. It seems as though the cable rusted up or had dirt somewhere around that area but is working now. Thank you.

That was going to be my next suggestion, but it looks like you beat me to it. Glad to got it figured out though. Thanks for using!