Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

My dash lights (speed and tach) wont stay on..few seconds..lights work

Customer Question

My dash lights (speed and tach) wont stay on. They come on for a few seconds and then go off. The rest of the lights work ok. There is a humming noise from the switch that quits after a few seconds.
Category: Car
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 5 years ago.
I'm GW. Which switch humms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi GW, the light switch hums
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
or it seems to be coming from that area of the switch
Can you pull the light switch out, and listen to it out of the dash?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, I was also noticing on my way home tonight, the lights around the heater and ac are out only the radio lights are on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, but only makes the noise after the lights go out,then quits
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it possible there is a relay located in that area that is going or is bad?
OK.This is your first request for an answer(My dash lights (speed and tach) wont stay on. They come on for a few seconds and then go off. The rest of the lights work ok. There is a humming noise from the switch that quits after a few seconds.) Now, I asked if you could pull the lite switch out, to see if that switch is buzzing. You said it was buzzing.. The switch is a mostly grounding switch. Are we agreeing so far?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what do you mean by mostly grounding switch?
Another Expert will be helping you shortly. Good Luck, GW
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer What GW wants you to do, it to remove the headlight switch out of the dash board and try to plug it in outside of it's normal location. He wants you to see if the switch itself is buzzing or something else inside the dash. This would be the first step and we can see where we go from this point.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was asked by the fixya team if it is a digital dash, it is not. it is analog. have not had a chance to take the switch out and test it... hopefully this weekend
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the main reason we want to try this with the switch, is simply to find out if the switch is buzzing or something behind it. Let me know what you find and we'll try to get to the bottom of this for you.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan