David DeLeon
David DeLeon, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience, Currently Shop Foreman at VW Dealer

my car wont move in drive it just revs up like its in neutral-is

my car wont move in drive it just revs up like its in neutral-is it the transmission?
Category: Car
Expert:  David DeLeon replied 5 years ago.
If you checked the tranmission fluid level and it is full and still wont go into any gear, then yes the transmission is faulty. It may have lost the front pump or an input shaft which can cause it not to function. You will need to replace the tranmission. If you had something electrical it would still go into gear but would be in a limp mode. Since it does not go into any gear the trans is the problem
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its an automatic but when i drive it manually starting from second gear then it drives
Does it go into reverse, and only lost first gear?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it goes in reverse fine and once im driving i can put it into drive at highway speeds and it works
This sound like you lost only first gear. You may have lost a part of the trans. What would need to be done in your situation is to have a trans technician inspect the trans and see if it is a problem in the valve body or a hard problem which would require the trans to be opened up. More than likely the proble is going to be a mechanical issue with the first gear clutch/brake. It is possible that there may be a leak in the valve body causing a loss of first gear, but not likely.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks -is that as expensive as replacing the whole trans?>
Some times its almost as expensive. Depending on the repair facility it can cost anywere between $500 - $700 to replace a valve body. If your vehicle has a lot of miles then its not really worth spending that kind of money on a trans that is probally not going to last a lot longer. might be better finding a good used trans for less.
Experience: Over 20 Years experience, Currently Shop Foreman at VW Dealer