CarQuestionGuy
CarQuestionGuy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Technician for 5 years, ASE Refrigerant Handler, ASA, iATN
8613158

One windshield wiper not working

Customer Question

One windshield wiper not working
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

What is the year, make model and engine size of your car?

Let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2003 Mercury Sable Wagon LS 3.0L 4V 6 cyl. engine. All other electrical components work just fine.
Thanks for using Just Answer

The most likely cause of your problem is the nut at the base of your wiper arm. It should have a cover on it that pops off, then you can just tighten the nut. Sometimes this does not help as it might be stripped, but almost always this will fix the problem.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That is the one thing I have already tried and it did not help. How would I know if it was stripped? I put WD40 on it and was able to loosen it and then tighten it again. Do you think I just did not tighten it enough? I wish this were the case as my husband is working all day today and will not be able to buy parts if necessary when he gets home. How can I tell if it is something this simple?
You can go out to your car and try to pull on the wiper arm. If it mover freely then it either needs to be tightened more or the linkage might be worn out. If you can move it by hand you should be able to see if the whole thing (including the nut) is moving or if just the arm itself is moving. If it is just the arm then try to tighten it more...tighten it as tight as you can get it. If it still does not work then it might be stripped.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay, give me a few minutes to try this. I'll be back to you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When I move the arm, everything moves including the nut. I did tighten it more, but that doesn't seem to work. Any other suggestions?
OK if that is the case then it is probably a problem with the linkage from the motor to the wiper arm. This linkage is located under the plastic piece that have the drainage holes in it. This is something that you should probably have a mechanic look at unless you or your husband it pretty mechanically inclined.
You will most likely have to replace the wiper linkage.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My husband is very mechanically inclined. He is just working late today and I was hoping it would be something simple that I could take care of myself or at least get the parts so he can do it. Thanks.
Well, I think we have covered the easy things it might be. If the nut is tight and it still does it then it is most likely something more serious.
The parts will most likely have to be bought from the dealer or you might be able to find used parts here is more info:

http://www.myautorepairadvice.com/junkyard_parts.html

Let me know if you need more help.