Mauricio
Mauricio, Technician
Experience:  15 years working in all makes and models
12133139

2007 buick: i cant get the tire pressure system to reset..lucerne

i cant get the tire pressure system to reset by following the directions in the manual... 2007 buick lucerne
Category: Car
Expert:  Mauricio replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
set parking brake, turn key to run, dci to set tire location or whatever it says, and i press the check mark, horn beeps twice and says it's finding tire positions or whatnot. undid, front tire valve cap, let air out for 5 seconds, horn beeped, moved to passenger side front tire and about 1/3 of the time i can get it to beep doing same procedure...moved to rear pass. tire and only worked a couple times, never have i made it to rear driver side and had it beep signaling time to turn key to off position. is there a certain speed of letting air out that helps? I inflate tires before trying again and have tried at different starting points thinking this may help. doesn't seem to. 30psi 35 psi and 40 psi.
Expert:  Mauricio replied 5 years ago.

Tire Pressure Sensor Learn

Learn Mode Description

The Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) System uses the keyless entry transmitter, instrument panel module (IPM), remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after every tire rotation, RCDLR replacement, or sensor replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification codes can be learned into the RCDLRs memory. When a sensor ID has been learned, the RCDLR sends a serial data message to the IPM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted its ID and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn the sensor IDs in the proper sequence to determine correct sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear.

Sensor Functions Using J-46079

Each sensor has an internal low frequency coil. When the J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool is used in activate mode, it produces a low frequency transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to an low frequency activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensors ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Learn Mode Cancellation

The learn mode will cancel if more than 2 minutes have passed and no sensor have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes has passed for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is canceled before any IDs are learned, the RCDLR will remember all previously stored IDs and their locations. As soon as the RCDLR learns the first ID, all other IDs are erased from the RCDLRs memory.

TPM Learn Procedure

Important: Before proceeding with the steps below, ensure that no other learn procedure is being performed simultaneously, or that no tire pressures are being adjusted on another TPM equipped vehicle within close proximity.

1. With the ignition switch, select the ACC mode.
  2. Simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitters lock and unlock buttons until a horn chirp sounds or use the scan tool and select Special Functions/Sensor Learn Mode Enable/Enable soft key. A horn chirp will sound indicating the mode has been enabled. When increasing tire pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.
  3. Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the J-46079 against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location then press and release the activate button and wait for a horn chirp, or increase/decrease the tire pressure for 5-8 seconds then wait for a horn chirp. The horn chirp may occur before the 5-8 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached, or up to 30 seconds after the 5-8 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
  4. After a horn chirp has sounded, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
    • Right front
    • Right rear
    • Left rear
  1. After the LR sensor has been learned, a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensors have been learned.
  2. With the ignition switch, select the OFF mode to exit the learn mode.
  3. After the learn mode has been exited, adjust all tire pressures to the recommended pressure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that's exactly what it says in the hand book for the car. I'm wondering if there's something that I'm missing... do you fully depress the valve stem to let air out or just press in the thing a litlle to let a little air out? I get the left front tire to get recognized every time for the most part, but when i go to the passenger side, it doesn't always works, (as signaled by double horn beep) =two minute allotment run out...
Expert:  Mauricio replied 5 years ago.
The only other way is use TPMS scanner.
Mauricio, Technician
Experience: 15 years working in all makes and models