Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
10415458

I have a 1997 trans am , how do I replace the fuel pump.

Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.

Hi Calvin,

Here are the manuals instructions, good luck

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 and 2

The fuel pump is part of the fuel sender assembly located inside the fuel tank.

1. Release the fuel system pressure and disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the fuel tank, then raise and safely support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
  4. Clean the area surrounding the sender assembly to prevent contamination of the fuel system.
  5. To remove the fuel sender from the tank, remove the fuel sender assembly nuts and retaining ring. Carefully remove the sending unit from the fuel tank. Discard the O-rings.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Exploded view of the fuel tank and sender assembly

1. If necessary, separate the fuel pump from the sending unit assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Fuel sender and pump assemblyTo install:

1. If removed, install the fuel pump to the sending unit. If the strainer was removed, it must be replaced with a new one.
  2. Inspect and clean the O-ring mating surfaces.
  3. Install a new O-ring in the groove around the tank opening. If applicable, install a new O-ring on the fuel sender feed tube.
  4. Install the fuel sender assembly as follows:
    1. The fuel pump strainer must be in a horizontal position, and when installed, must not block the travel of the float arm. Gently fold the strainer over itself and slowly position the sending assembly in the tank so the strainer is not damaged or trapped by the sump walls.
  5. Install the retaining ring and nuts, then tighten the nuts to 63 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
  6. Install the fuel tank assembly.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Fill the fuel tank, tighten the fuel filler cap and connect the negative battery cable.
  9. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds, OFF for 10 seconds, then back to the ON position. Check for fuel leaks.

1. Relieve the fuel system pressure and check that there is an adequate quantity of fuel in the tank.
  2. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the pressure connector fitting located on the end of the fuel rail. On 5.7L engines, it is located inline shortly before the fuel rail and accumulator.
  3. Make sure the ignition switch has been in the OFF position for at least 10 seconds and that all accessories are OFF.
  4. Turn the ignition switch ON and the pump will run for about 2 seconds. Note the system pressure with the pump running, it should be between 40-47 psi.

The ignition switch may have to be cycled to the

ON position more than once to obtain maximum pressure. It is also normal for the pressure to drop slightly when the pump first stops, but it should then hold steady.

1. If the pressure is not as specified, verify that fuel pump operation is heard in the tank.
  2. If fuel pump operation is not heard, inspect the fuel pump relay and wiring.
  3. If fuel pump operation is heard, inspect the filter and lines for restriction.
  4. Start the engine and make sure the pressure decreases about 3-10 psi at idle.
  5. If fuel pressure does not decrease, inspect the fuel pressure regulator and hose.
  6. Disconnect the fuel pressure gauge.

Fuel Tank Removal

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Relieve the fuel system pressure.
  3. Drain the fuel from the tank into an approved container. Use a hand-operated pump to drain the fuel through the filler neck.
  4. Safely raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the fuel filler neck shield.
  6. For 1993-94 vehicles, remove the rear axle assembly at this time.
  7. Remove the rear portion of the exhaust system (pipe and muffler).
  8. Remove the exhaust heat shield.
  9. For 1995-98 vehicles, remove the rear axle assembly at this time.
  10. Clean all the fuel pipes and hoses in the surrounding areas to prevent contamination of the fuel system.
  11. Disconnect the rear fuel feed, fuel return, vapor, and vent hoses at the fuel sender assembly.
  12. Separate the electrical connection.
  13. With the aid of an assistant, support the fuel tank.
  14. Remove the fuel tank strap front attaching bolts. Do not bend the straps as this will damage them.
  15. Remove the tank straps and the fuel tank.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Fuel tank insulators and tank mountingTo install:

1. Hook the rear end of the fuel tank straps into the underbody bracket.
  2. With the aid of an assistant, position and support the fuel tank with the straps. Loosely install the front fuel tank attaching bolts.
  3. Engage the electrical connection.
  4. Connect the fuel hoses and lines separated during removal.
  5. Install the muffler heat shield and the exhaust system.
  6. Install the rear axle and the fuel filler neck shield.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Add fuel and install the filler cap.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. With the engine off, turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds, then turn it to the OFF position for 10 seconds. Again turn it to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.
Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician