Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

bentley..Car Wont start. No otherwise indication..mechanical

Customer Question

2001 Bentley arnage. Car Won't start. No otherwise indication of mechanical problems. Just purchased from Canadian dealer 3wks ago. 80k miles. Battery charged using factory charger. Lights on, no sound from starter. Just 'clicking' when key turned. Running fine 3dys ago. Has been sitting for that time. I'm just a 'Saturday Mechanic' but handy. Thanks, Marino.
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 7 years ago.
Hello Marino

The clicking sounds like it is the starter solenoid contacting, but if the engine is failing to turn over its a problem either with the starter motor or the current supply to it.

Assuming the battery is OK ( what voltage is it supplying?) then I would examine the heavy duty cabling from the battery to the solenoid and check the engine earth strap and battery earth leads.
Replace if in any doubt.
Potentially is could be the anti-theft system disengaging the starter circuit but if it is the starter solenoid clicking in and out then this is not the case.
Also worth trying another battery if you have one handy.