Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
4976144

2004 Cadillac Deville: rear tail light..I change the bulb

Customer Question

2004 Cadillac Deville driver side rear tail light. How do I change the bulb?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

You must replace the entire tailamp assembly. Here is how to do that.

Rear Compartment Sill Trim Plate Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Open the rear compartment lid.
  2. Remove the rear compartment convenience net.
    Object Number: 459947  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Important: The type of retainers used for Sill Plate are the push on, screw off type.

It is very important to follow this procedure or wasteful destruction of the screws will happen.

3. Remove the convenience net retainers (1) retaining the rear compartment sill plate (2) to the vehicle.
  4. Lift the rear compartment sill plate (2) to disengage the clips from the sill.
  5. Remove the rear compartment sill plate (2) from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 459947  Size: SH
  1. Install the rear compartment sill plate (2) to the vehicle.
  2. Press the rear compartment sill plate (2) down to engage the clips to the compartment sill.
  3. Install the convenience net retainers (1) to retain the rear compartment sill plate (2) to the vehicle.
  4. Install the rear compartment convenience net.
  5. Close the rear compartment lid.
  6. Tail Lamp Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Open the rear compartment lid.
    2. Remove the rear compartment sill plate. Refer to Rear Compartment Sill Trim Plate Replacement in Body Rear End.
    3. Pull back on the rear compartment trim panel.
      Object Number: 455645  Size: SH
    4. Disconnect the tail lamp electrical connector.
    5. Remove the fasteners securing the tail lamp to the body.
    6. Remove the tail lamp from the body.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 455645  Size: SH
    1. Install the tail lamp to the body.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Install the fasteners in order to secure the tail lamp to the body.

Tighten
      Tighten the nuts to 6 N·m (53 lb in).

3. Connect the tail lamp electrical connector.
    4. Install the rear compartment sill plate. Refer to Rear Compartment Sill Trim Plate Replacement in Body Rear End.
    5. Close the rear compartment lid.