CDNRobb, Technician
Experience:  Licensed Interprovincial technician in Canada. Well versed in Suzuki, Ford, GM.

what is the mix ratio of propylene glycol and water to produce

Customer Question

what is the mix ratio of propylene glycol and water to produce a minus 20 degree antifreeze
Category: Car
Expert:  CDNRobb replied 7 years ago.

A 50/50 mix gives us about a -40 C temp reading. If you are looking for -20 F (-28C) a blend of 40% coolant to 60% water should give the blend you are going for.

A 50/50 would be best, XXXXX XXXXX get the slightly better freeze protection. That little extra margin of safety is worth the piece of mind in frigid temps.

Hope that helps

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the propylene glycol i'm refering to is clear and 99.9% pure fluid used to make up the green or pink fluids that you are discussing
Expert:  CDNRobb replied 7 years ago.

I misunderstood your question.

We don't deal with "pure fluid" here. The only thing I can suggest so you get an accurate reading is to stop by a parts store and pick up an antifreeze tester. For the $5.00 you'll spend at least you'll know where you stand when you start mixing.

I can't give you a mixture offhand that will give you readings you require.