jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

96 oldsmobile cutlass supreme: the tranny rebuilt..overdrive..revs

i have a 96 oldsmobile cutlass supreme that i had the tranny rebuilt in about 2 years ago. right after that, the engine locked up and was replaced with a used one, when it was running again, the transmission never seemed exactly right, but for the last 8-9 months, maybe more, it has seemed to only have second and drive. I can take off in drive or overdrive, but it really revs the motor, so i usually take off in 2nd and manually shift it out. if i put it in overdrive, it will go, but when going down hills and not accelerating, it acts almost as if i put it in neutral. the obd codes we got are 753,756 and 758, all having to do with shift solenoid a and b. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i do not have money to rebuild it again. single mother of 2 boys, real close to learning how to tear apart my own tranny and fix it myself, can't get much worse, right? ;)
Category: Car
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 8 years ago.
<p>GreetingsCustomer</p><p> </p><p> Unfortuneately I dont have good news for you...Your problem as indicated by fault codes is inside the transmission itself...You have a couple of options available....You can have the existing transmission serviced and fluid changed and see possibly if it improves your dilemma (its a longshot,but its worth a try if there is dirt or debris causing the problem)....You can go to a transmission shop (Lee Myles,Dr. Nicks,etc.)and get an estimate to fix the existing problem or if its worth fixing...these places will usually charge a small fee to check out your problem in hopes of getting your business...or lastly, you can have a salvage yard trans installed by an independent repair shop....Sorry I dont have better news , but these codes usually indicate a severe problem that is completely beyond the "do it yourselfer"...If I can be of further assistance please let me know...jeffrey590</p>