Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

my car loses power and restores power while driving or just

Customer Question

my car loses power and restores power while driving or just sitting i brough tit to the local mechanic he says its fine but it still does the same thing i checked all the wires i could see nothing was loose there is no pattern just looses power when it wants sometimes comes right back sometimes not i have changed the alt. and battery
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Good morning! when you say loses power, do you seem to think it is missing? or bogs down? A miss will cause what feels like slight engine vibration and car will not go as fast. Does the weather matter? more in rain or wet? or simply anytime? Lets go from there. LMK

Randall C

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It doesn't matter if hot cold wet or dry it doesn't bog down if you are driving down the highway or any street ( speed doesn't matter ) it just shuts off dead no bog it runs one second next it's dead sometimes when it dies it starts back up by itself doesn't matter if i have defrosters on radio on a/c on just disconnects from power i have checked all the wires from alt. and battery no loose wires I brought it to the shop they are puzzled also there is no warning lights no codes There has got to be a short somewhere i think. I did notice while driving the lights dash and head lights have always flickered but the radio display doesn't but when car dies everything does also thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I will be asking questions, simply to help narrow down I know this vehicle real well. Just need to understand all facts. You state, sometimes when it dies it starts back up. I assum sometimes it does NOT start back up. When "no start" does it crank? or no crank? If it cranks, has anyone caught it to see what is missing? spark , fuel or both.I will be watching your responses. I will back this evening to help you asap. Hang in there. I just have a meeting today. Another expert could jump in. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no cranking       to me for some odd reason when i open the door sit down try and theres no turning over when i slam the door it seems to come back to life but that doesn't make much sence because when i hit a bump it doesn't affect it oneway or another i did also notice that when i am able to turn it over i have to give alittle gas i usewd to have a truck that did that but there was the shift linkage was loose but this is a manual trans
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
You may have loose wiring connector or plug. When the car is running ok, try gently pulling on any wiring loom or plug you can get to under drivers dash. try to get close to ignition switch connector also. Does your car have factory alarm?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does have alarm i'll try pulling on wires under dash . I should have car started while doing this right?
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Is the alarm factory or aftermarket?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know when i lock the doors with the remote i cant unlock them with a key cause an alarm goes off and only shuts off with remote how do i tell ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I pulled on all wires under dash and nothing changed. for some reason when I slam door the power comes back