Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

1996 Olds Ciera has an error code P1361

1996 Olds Ciera has an error code P1361
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

I am sending you a copy of the GM trouble for tracing down the problem for your code P1361. This code relates to the ignition control and knock sensor circuit systems. The diagnostics for this are mush easier to do if you have a class 2 scan tool to assist you when running function tests. Note that any blue high lights will not open for you as they are GM access only. Thanks

This may assist in diagnosing the condition.

Step

Action

Value(s)

Yes

No

1

Was the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic System Check performed?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Powertrain OBD System Check

2

1. Start engine and let idle for 2 minutes.
  2. Observe DTC(s).

Did DTC P1361 set?

--

Go to Step 3

Refer to Diagnostic Aids

3

1. Ignition OFF.
  2. Disconnect the PCM.
  3. Install a test light between B+ and the bypass circuit at the PCM harness connector.

Is the test light ON?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 4

4

1. Ignition ON.
  2. With the test light installed between B+ and the bypass circuit, measure the resistance between the IC circuit and the reference low circuit using a DVM.

Is resistance greater than the specified value?

6K ohms (6000 ohms)

Go to Step 12

Go to Step 5

5

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the ignition control module 14-way connector.
  2. Probe the IC circuit with a test light to B+.

Is the test light ON?

--

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 6

6

1. Check the bypass circuit for an open.
  2. If a problem is found, repair as necessary (refer to Engine Electrical).

Was a problem found?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 7

7

1. Check the bypass circuit for a poor terminal connection at the ignition control module.
  2. If a problem is found, replace faulty terminal.

Was a problem found?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 14

8

2. Ignition ON, observe test light connected between the bypass circuit and B+.

Is the test light ON?

--

Go to Step 11

Go to Step 14

9

1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the Ignition Control Module.
  2. Ignition ON, check the IC circuit for a short to voltage.
  3. If a problem is found, repair as necessary (refer to Engine Electrical).

Was a problem found?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 13

10

Locate and repair short to ground in the IC circuit (refer to Engine Electrical).

Is action complete?

--

Go to Step 15

--

11

Locate and repair short to ground in the bypass circuit (refer to Engine Electrical).

Is action complete?

--

Go to Step 15

--

12

1. Check the Bypass circuit for a poor terminal connection at the PCM.

Was a problem found?

--

Go to Step 15

Go to Step 13

13

Replace the PCM.

Important: Replacement PCM must be programmed. Refer to PCM Replacement/Programming.

Is action complete?

--

Go to Step 15

--

14

Replace the ignition control module.

Is action complete?

--

Go to Step 15

--

15

1. Review and record scan tool Fail Records data.
  2. Clear DTCs.
  3. Operate vehicle within Fail Records conditions as noted.
  4. Using a scan tool, monitor SPECIFIC DTC info for DTC P1361.

Does scan tool indicate DTC P1361 failed?

--

Go to Step 2

Repair complete

Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired