jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.

98 Dodge Ram 1500: troubleshoot..Headlights (low/high beam)..Replacing

Trying to troubleshoot headlights for 98 Dodge Ram 1500. Headlights (low/high beam) will not work but the lights will flash when flashing the lights. Replacing the lightbulbs would fix temporaily. Lights are still intermitent. What would be the issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 L

Already Tried:
* Checked fuses - OK
* Replaced light bulbs - worked for a little while then stopped.
* Went to check light bulbs and lights came back on.
* mechanic says it might be dimmer switch
* factory security system fuse removed due to locks not working properly - could this effect the lights... haven't for about 3 months with the security fuse removed.

I would advise you to check power and ground supplies at the lamps and find out which you are missing...This condition can be caused by a poor ground , an intermittent relay and/or switch assy, and even the security system wiring...It is necessary to trace missing ground or power through circuit and components and check it with a Digital Volt/ohm Meter to locate and repair the problem...The fact that it is intermittent and that the lights worked for a while when you changed the bulbs leads me to believe that you may have a poor connection somewhere in the circuit....Please keep in mind this troubleshooting procedure is fairly complex and you may want to enlist the help of an experienced person to help you if you are not that good with electrical diagnosis...If I can be of further assistance please let me know...jeffrey590