Chad Bird
Chad Bird, Engine Machinist
Experience:  10 years exp on Foreign and Domestic Gas, Diesel Technician/Machinist & Aftermarket Parts Installer

HOW TO CHANGE coolant in grand marquis

Customer Question

HOW TO CHANGE coolant in grand marquis
Category: Car
Expert:  Chad Bird replied 5 years ago.
Ensure that the engine is completely cool prior to starting this service.

1. Remove the recovery tank or radiator cap.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the front air deflector, if necessary.
  4. Place a drain pan of sufficient capacity under the radiator and open the petcock (drain) on the radiator.

Plastic petcocks bind easily. Before opening a plastic radiator petcock, spray it with some penetrating lubricant.

1. Drain the cooling system completely.
  2. Close the petcock.
  3. Remove the drain pan.
  4. If removed, install the air deflector.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Determine the capacity of the cooling system, then properly refill the system at the recovery tank or radiator opening with a 50/50 mixture of fresh coolant and distilled water until it reaches the FULL COLD line on the recovery tank or the radiator is full.
  7. Leave the recovery tank or radiator cap off to aid in bleeding the system.
  8. Start the engine and allow it to idle until the thermostat opens (the upper radiator hose will become hot). The coolant level should go down, this is normal as the system bleeds the air pockets out of the system.
  9. Refill the system with coolant to the proper level.
  10. Turn the engine OFF and check for leaks.
CAUTION
Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

FLUSHING THE SYSTEM
  1. Drain the cooling system completely as described earlier.
  2. Close the petcock and fill the system with a cooling system flush (clean water may also be used, but is not as efficient).
  3. Idle the engine until the upper radiator hose gets hot.
  4. Allow the engine to cool completely and drain the system again.
  5. Repeat this process until the drained water is clear and free of scale.
  6. Flush the recovery tank with water and leave empty.
  1. Fill and bleed the cooling system as described earlier.