Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician
12642649

I have a 2002 pontiac sunfire. The rear defroster doesnt work.

Customer Question

I have a 2002 pontiac sunfire. The rear defroster doesn't work. I pulled the fuse, checked for voltage....good, I tested the fuse ......good, the defrost switch lights up and I can hear the relay engaging, I took the switch out and visually seen the relay opening and closing and tested the voltage. I would get 12 volts and then I would push the button off and it would go away. I took the two connection loose on the back window and tested with a voltmeter. Across one to the other I had nothing and across each one to ground I have nothing. What else can I do?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

There is a wiring connector c220 that burns up. It is At the left front of the passenger compartment behind the kick panel. check the terminals in it. Terminal a has a purple wire on one side and a black wire on the other side. You will most likely find that connector melted. Here is a picture where the conector is at. #3 is the connector. It should have 6 wires or spaces for six wires. Let me know what you find or need help to fix.

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK ........so what is the fix? If the connector is melted how do I go about replacing it and is this an item I can buy at my local dealership? Is the connector called a c220? What causes this to melt and how can I avoid this happening again? Looking at the diagram it looks like this is the kick panel on the drivers side and not the passenger side, which is it? Thanks for your help.........if this is my problem I will be glad to pay the $9.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
left front of the passenger compartment behind the kick panel.

Sorry that is confusing. The left side is the Drivers side. The passenger compartment is inside of the car. Sorry I should be easier to understand. Its on the drivers side. If it is melted, I just splice the wires together and do away with the connector. It melts due to the heat from the terminals getting loose. When you splice it together using heat shrink connectors, You wont have the problem again.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK .... that makes sense and I should be able to splice the wires with no problem. I will let you know and if that is the fix I will be MORE than happy to pay me fee. Thanks!
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
I'm not saying the connector is melted but this is the first thing to check. I see it often. If not check the power supply there at the purple wire.