Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

1996 GMC: blower switch..I have changed the heater blower resistor

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy. The heater blower switch does not work in the high position. I have changed the blower switch, still the same, and I have changed the heater blower resistor and still the same outcome. What can I do next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

Does the fan stay running when it is on high or does the fan stop?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When switched from the low to medium it stays running but when switched from the medium to the high position, the fan stops. It becomes silent, no fan running.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

At the battery junction box under the hood there are several fusible links one of them power the high blower and it is likely the problem. you can try lightly pulling on these to tell if one is bad if you can not find it that way they will need to be checked for power on both sides to determine the bad one. They look much like the pic below,

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, someone at work mentioned to me that there are relays for the heater that could be bad. Are these fusible links known as relays or are there relay switches located elsewhere and could they be bad? Thanks.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

It is possible still a relay but when I asked if the motor still runs when you switch the fan to high and the motor stops that means that the relay is switching so I would first check the fusible links and if you do not find any of them bad I would check the relay it is located on the right rear of the engine compartment pic below of the circuit.

graphic

Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic