Golden Wrench
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks

Car starts, runs but wont stay running unless you keep pedd

Customer Question

Car starts, runs but won't stay running unless you keep peddling the gas...constantly to keep the flow going. Recently I ran out of gas and didn't know it. My gauge doesn't work but I was certain I had enough in it and was suprised when I sucked the entire fuel line dry. It hasn't ran right since and bubbles were in the fuel. I have a clear fuel filter and when the engine is stopped, fuel is pulled out of the filter back down leaving the filter full of air. Is this a fuel pump problem? Do you think I burned out the fuel pump? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Golden Wrench replied 5 years ago.
I'm GW. Could you tell us the make,model, and engine size please?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Izusu Pickup....no name on the style exists....possibly "Pup". It is a 1988 model 4 cylinder engine.

OK Is it a gas or diesel engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Gasoline engine
OK. Let me do some research, I'll be back.Cool
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you...any help or advice is much appreciated. I think I may have burned out my fuel pump. I'm not even sure if the pump is actually inside the fuel tank or outside mounted to the engine somewhere.
OK. Can you tell me wether it has a 2.6 Lor a 2.0L engine. Carburetor or fuel-injection, and where the fuel filter is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has a carburator. Fuel filter is outside and visible. I had recently replaced the filter after the incident where I'd run out of gas. I don't know the engine size. No markings visible to let me know what the engine size except something that says "Engine: LW3". I bought it used, as is and as such, very limited info came with it unfortunately.
OK, You need to disconnect the fuel line from the carb to see if fuel comes out when cranking. Careful with gasoline!!!! Let me know.
Golden Wrench, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE 30 Years of fixing severly broken cars and light trucks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I did as you said. It appears the fuel pump is working perfectly...it definitely appears to be a carburator problem. I'm having a friend come look at it in a day or so. I thank you for your help. You steered me in the right direction. All the best.

Richard,

Bradenton, Florida

OK. Get a quality rebuild. If there is a technician in your area that can rebuild the carb you have, better. There are some controls involved wih emissions, so when you get the carb on, let me know if there are any issues. GW