Jay
Jay, Mechanic
Experience:  4 yrs experience with Gm, 6 years in automotive shops trained at SAIT

Saturn: The battery died and that made the alarm shut the fuel off

Customer Question

How can we reset the computer for a Saturn SL1. The battery died and that made the alarm shut the fuel off. We got a new battery and it still would not start. We need to know how to reset the computer? please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer Here is the procedure for resetting the security system on your car. Please reply if you have any questions:

Auto Learn

Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

1. Insure that the battery is fully charged.
  2. Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
  3. Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
  4. When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes (wait at least 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.

The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.

Jay, Mechanic
Experience: 4 yrs experience with Gm, 6 years in automotive shops trained at SAIT
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We have tried this about 5 times and the security llight will not go out. We also tried unhooking the battery and hooking it back up and tried the ignition thing again and the security light still will not go out..........is there anything else we can try.

Thanks for your help :)

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer try disconnecting the battery, wait 5 minutes and touch the negative cable to the positive cable, then connect battery back up, try starting again and doing reset procedure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should i just unhook the ground cable ?
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Yes, definitely unhook both cables, wait and then do the procedure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We unhooked the cables and waited 5 minutes........touched the ground to the positive.....then I reconnected them and started over with the procedure waited 10 minutes and the security light is still flashing......still as it was
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer you will need to get the vehicle scanned for the security code, otherwise you will start to have to throw parts at the vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does the vehicle have to go to the dealer to be scanned or can we take it to a garage with a scanner?

Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
I guess it depends, if the regular garage has a scanner that can scan for the security codes, which I think they will, then that will be fine but the dealer I know will definitely be able to do it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help :)