John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

2003 Infiniti FX35: wheel drive Does it damage the car to drive in AWD

Customer Question

2003 Infiniti FX35 stuck in all wheel drive Does it damage the car to drive in AWD all the time? Can AWD be turned off all together? Cost to fix seems prohibitive. (95,000 miles)
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Your vehicle being in all wheel drive at all times will not hurt it.This will however put more wear & tear on components that would normally not be under load at all time.The solenoid is a mechanical part controlled by a computer,but when the mechanical part fails ,it must be repaired to fix the problem.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
May I ask what you would do?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
These times are hard everywhere & I am not sure I would spend the cash ,right now,unless this vehicle means something sentimental or cash is no problem.If cash is no problem,I would trade it in for something new.At 100,000 miles (even if you have taken great care) time & wear tends to cost money.If you are like me & the most of the people I know ,I would drive the vehicle until times are better,thinking & planning for better times.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you John I will drive it for awhile as is.

Nancy

Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
You are very welcome.Please visit JA again. John