Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Reset my Service Engine soon light on a 2000 chevy silverado truck.

How do I reset my Service Engine soon light on a 2000 Chev Silverado truck.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
HI there!The only options are to disconnect the battery for an hour or so,or you can take it to a place like autozone,where they have a code reader and can clear the codes.Most parts stores will do it for you at no charge.If however you have not repaired the cause of the light it may come right back on.If you hit the parts store then you won't have to mess around with resetting all of the radio stations.Hope this helps!Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This is not the answer I had hoped for. I know that there is some kind of sequence you go through. When I have my oil changed they said they reset it by turning off the key and pressing the gas pad so many time and then turning the key on or something like that. I just can't remember the sequence.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
I see,so you need to reset the maintenence indicator? Not the actual check engine light?
Try turning the key on and then step on the gas pedal 3 times.If that doesn't reset it go with same procedure onl;y hit the gas 5 times.Just can't remember which it is.Sorry,I misunderstood the question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I tried that one this morning and it didn't work.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
You should be able to turn the key to the run position and hit the pedal 3 times within 5 seconds.That should reset the oil life to 100%
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is the check engine soon light the same thing we are talking about.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
No the check engine light means there is a problem.You cannot reset that light without disconnecting the battery,or with a code reader or scan tool.
The key on and pumping the gas pedal is for resetting the oil life.
If you have a ses light on,then you need to perform the steps in the very first post.