ASEtech
ASEtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Air, Electrical, Drivetrain, Computer, Drivabuility, Brakes, Suspension, Performance.
12435463

I have a 1992 GMC TopKick with Gasoline Fuel Injection V8 366

I have a 1992 GMC TopKick with Gasoline Fuel Injection V8 366 engine. Periodically it will not start. Engine turns over. Let it sit for several days and it will usually start. NOT flooded. Will start fine for several days then will not start several days later. I have changed spark plugs and spark plug wires. Starting fluid does not help. Air temperature does not seem to make a difference. Look for suggestions before I have it towed to a garage.
Category: Car
Expert:  ASEtech replied 8 years ago.
starting fluid will not help because there is no spark.

Check for the following while cranking

Spark
fuel pulse at the injectors
fuel pressure

Steve
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will check the spark. Do I need a meter or tester to check the fuel pulse or fuel pressure?

Expert:  ASEtech replied 8 years ago.
you can simply listen to the injectors with a tube to your ear. You should hear clicking.

Steve
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will check this later today or tomorrow and get back to you with the finding. I do appreciate your help. If your suggestions point to the right solution I will be glad to accept your help.

Expert:  ASEtech replied 8 years ago.

No problem talks to you then. The main reason that I suggest this as a part of the problem is because the engine has been changed out recently. Don’t rule out other problems as this is the first step in your diagnostic procedure.

Steve

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I do not understand what you mean by the 'engine has been changed out recently'. This is original engine!

I did have someone help me with the spark plug test. We removed one plug and with spark plug wired connected and grounding the plug we saw no spark. Should I test another spark plug to be sure?

thanks

Expert:  ASEtech replied 8 years ago.
Sorry that was another q like yours.

I wouldnt bother testing another one. Are the injectors pulsing?

Steve