supertech, mastertech
Experience:  ase master auto tech,triple chrys master tech,42 yr experinece,adv. level spec. ASE. HEV chrys spec.

My 2001 PT cruiser will not turn over I have replaced evrything

Customer Question

My 2001 PT cruiser will not turn over I have replaced evrything I can think of---the start was the ignition switch failed---I replaced that---all the relays---bypassed the clutch nuetral safety switchand high clutch limit switch. rplaced all the relays and 40, 30, and 10 amp fuses. The battery posts are clean and it appears charged. I have pulled the starter relay and have battery power to the relay did a continuity test to the selonoid and had continuity---What can I do next?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 CYL Manual tr

Already Tried:
replaced broken ignition switch assembly, all relays and fuses---replaced clutch nuetral safety switch.

When ignition is turned on check is done all lights clear except for red dot in center of cluster.
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

Is there power to the solenoid when you have the key in the start postion?

If you run 12volt to the solenoid will the car start if it nutral and key on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does not appear to be any power I can jump the positive to the selenoid will turn over the engine
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.
With the key on is there two hot at the starter relay?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes but I can check again---which pin numbers should I be checking? number 86 does not appear to have continuity to ground

Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

That when you pulled out the relay,if there is two hot wires hot at the starter relay than you need to see if you by-pass the relay will the car start if it will than the PCM is not grounding the relay to let power go to the solenoid.

The jumper goes between pins83 to 85,When you do this have the e-brake on and in natural

Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

Pin 82 grounds with the power train control module with the key on.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sir 86 is hot with the key and 85 powers with the ignition key if I jumper 85 do I go to 87--start relay output?

The check engine is on after the first start attempt and there is a red light (dot) that stays on all the time

Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

Your alarm system might have you lock out.If you run a jumper from the red wire to the brown wire will the car start and run?The brown wire is pin 81 which go to the solenoid and red wire can be either one of the hot with the relay pull out of the car.

I'am tring to figure out if you have a lock out on the alarm system.Do you have a gray key or a black key?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I do not have a pin 81.

I have

Pin 87 start relay output

Pin 87a no connection

Pin 86 ground

Pin 30 Battery

Pin 85 starter relay out put

Can I run a ground from 86 to the PCM?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Gray Key no functions on the key has a reperate unit to open and close the door locks---independent of the key
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

You could just run a ground to ground not the computer,If you ground this ground will the car start?

When you ground the relay it will let the other side of the relay work.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will Take me a minute I will Try it---I can run from battery to the selonoid on the starter relay pins and it will turn over but not start.
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

Than you might have some thing locking you out.

Is the key on and the clutch pedal push in?

Can you get the code number read after you clear them once,so we will know where we what to go next.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK running the ground solved the turning over portion---with a ground wire the engine turns over with the key---but it will not start? what next?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How can I reset the PCM computer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If I will pay you for what you have done so far will you continue to help me to final resolution?
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.
Yes i will
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if I accept now does this close this thread?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.
It might just wait It is normal open for 24-48hr before they close it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you think my PCM is malfuntioning?
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.
There is a good change ,but it be better to find out what the real code is that being set first.If it was just the computer it should have started and ran with the key on and the clutch puss in.with the relay could be any thing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what do you want me to try next? I do not have a way to read the codes?
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.
Check to see if there spark to the spark plugs,fuel pressure,power to the injector that flashes when you turn over the key.
Expert:  supertech replied 7 years ago.

All you need to do is push the acept button and I will be paid.

Thank you