Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division

2003 fx35: bearings on the rear wheel of my manual

Customer Question

I need to replace the bearings on the rear wheel of my wifes 2003 fx35. do i need any special " infinity tools" to do the job or just a shop manual? thanks in advance for your response   phil @[email protected]
Category: Car
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2003 Infiniti fx 35 v-6

Already Tried:
i need to know if i can replace the rear wheel bearings or is this something best left for the experts at the infinity dealer.
Expert:  Roadside Jerry replied 7 years ago.

Hi Phil,you can remove the hub and bearing assembly from the vehicle,then take the hub to an auto parts store that has a machine shop. They will press the old bearing off and pres the new one on.I am sending the instructions for the complete job, you can use them to remove the hub, then take it to have the bearing installed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
jerry: i've got the wheel off and it seems like there is a lot more stuff to disconnect to remove the hub/ axle assembly. i'd really feel more comfortable with a response from a infinity expert or step by step photos from an infinity shop manual.
No problem,I will opt out.You may have to wait until the morning to get any other replies,good luck,Jerry.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

jerry: I'll try this tear down tomorrow. there are some bolts on the backside of the backing plate, so maybe they are the fixing bolts the article refers to. it seems too easy, but maybe it will be clearer once i remove the rotor.. the service advisor at the infinity was quoting my wife in excess of 3000.00 to repair the bearings.. he was also telling her she had to replace the hub, the rotor, the emergengy brake, the caliper, etc. all new parts in order to guarentee the work.. if it pops out that easy i'll add a bonus . thanks again. regards phil

Hi, the idea is to remove the complete knuckle,then take that to a machine shop and have it pressed apart and the new hub bearing pressed in.I will send some pictures that may help you with the repair.The bolts in the back retain the hub in the knucle,they would be taken out at the machine shop. As far as replacing the caliper,rotor etc., that would not be needed unless the bearing had complely failed and caused them to be damaged.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

jerry: i finally got around to ripping it apart. sorry, but its not my regular job. although the instructions weren't step by step, i finally figured it out. the book u were looking in left out some important stuff that most mechanics probably take for granted, so it took me alittle longer to figure it out. i must admit that the initial glance gave me some doubts as to whether i could accomplish this task. all has worked out so far and i intend to have the old damaged bearing races pressed off and the new bearing/housing pressed on. back on the road for less than 250 bucks and some of my time. once again, thanks.. regards Customer/p>

Glad to hear you were able to do the job and save some cash,thanks for using Just Answer,Jerry.