ttiger79, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Certified advanced level engine performance

how do u adjust the emergency brake on the chrysler town and

Customer Question

how do u adjust the emergency brake on the chrysler town and country lxi
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 7 years ago.

Does it have rear disc or drum brakes?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I dont have much info on adjusting the park brake with rear disc. I'll open your question up for other experts who may. If they do, they will email you. Good luck!

Expert:  ttiger79 replied 7 years ago.
I'm another expert on here for Chrysler vehicles. If you have rear disc brakes on your van, there is no adjustment for the emergency brakes. On these vans, there is an automatic cable tensioner installed on the pedal assembly that keeps tension on the cables. Here's a basic description of the system:

The parking brake system is operated by a foot operated parking brake lever. The parking brake lever is mounted on the body of the vehicle to the left of the brake pedal. It is a automatic-adjusting type lever.

The vehicle has four flexible steel parking brake cables. They are:

* Front
* Intermediate
* Left rear
* Right rear

The front parking brake cable extends from the parking brake lever. A steel equalizer bracket connects the front parking brake cable to the left rear and intermediate cable. The intermediate cable is connected to the right rear cable using a parking brake cable connector.

On vehicles equipped with rear drum brakes, the rear service brakes also act as the vehicle's parking brakes.

Vehicles equipped with rear disc brakes use a small duo-servo brake assembly mounted to the each rear disc brake caliper adapter as the parking brake. The inside of the brake rotor (hat section of drum-in-hat style brake rotor) is used as the parking brake drum.

The automatic-adjusting feature in the foot operated parking brake lever continuously applies minimal tension to the parking brake cables when the parking brake lever is in the released position to keep them in adjustment at all times. Due to this feature, the parking brake cables require no periodic adjustment.

When the parking brake lever is applied, the cables are pulled, thus applying the brake shoes (rear drum brakes) or parking brake shoes (rear disc brakes) at each rear wheel.

The brake shoes are mechanically operated by an internal lever and strut connected to the rear parking brake cables.

An equalizer bracket is used at the rear end of the front parking brake cable to distribute tension equally to each parking brake cable.

If you are having problems with the adjustment in the rear brake cables, you may be having an issue with the automatic tension adjuster that is part of the pedal assembly.

Let me know if you have any more questions!