GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..

Cadillac Catera:, trunk, and horn which didnt work

Customer Question

I recently just got a radio installed on my Cadillac Catera 2000. The guys said that there were two burnt fuses which got replaced. Those fuses were related to the radio, trunk, and horn which didnt work before they replaced them. After they installed the radio i now have my sports mode light flashing and my transmission is starting in third gear. I took it to a mechanic and he was guessing it was the speed sensor. My speedometer doesnt work but i know its related to my TC and ABS lights being turned on (its been going on and off for the last 3 months). he didnt understand that. I know this is an electrical or sensor issue but im not quite sure. can someone steer me in the right direction?
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 7 years ago.

On your vehicle, there are modules for each of the systems you have described and to steer you in the right direction, you should have a high quality scan tool connected to the vehicle to both check that all modules are communicating, along with any trouble codes that may be stored within the modules.

These stored codes can many times lead a technician directly to the trouble area.

I highly recommend a Tech ll scan it has the capability to easily check for the ability of each module to communicate as Via their data connections as they should.

Although, it sounds very much like a speed sensor related concern, judging by your description, much of the guesswork can be avoided with the use of the scan tool.

I hope this information helps.

Take Care