Mauricio
Mauricio, Technician
Experience:  15 years working in all makes and models
12133139

2005 CTS: I tighten the parking brake..spacer

Customer Question

How do I tighten the parking brake on a 2005 CTS V. I found the spacer however it does not have threats so I can tighten it. Please help
Category: Car
Expert:  Mauricio replied 6 years ago.

Park Brake Adjustment

• Tools Required
  • J 21177-A Drum To Brake Shoe Clearance Gage
  1. Adjustments to the park brake shoe are not necessary after replacing the park brake lever or park brake cables. The park brake is adjusted automatically by cycling the park brake lever three times.
  2. DO not operate the park brake lever with the rear disc brake rotor(s) removed.
  3. Apply and fully release the parking brake three times.
  4. Verify that the parking brake pedl releases completely.
  5. Raise and suitably support the vehicle.
  6. Remove the rear tire and wheel assembly.
  7. Remove the rear brake caliper brackets.
  8. Remove the rear brake rotorsgraphic
    1. Set the J 21177-A inside of the park brake drum at the widest point.
      • Place the contacts on the tool to the widest point of the drum (1).
      • Tighten the set screw on the tool to ensure the proper measurement when removing the tool from the drum.
    graphic
    1. Position the J 21177-A over the park brake shoe (1) at the widest point.
    2. Turn the adjuster on the actuator until the park brake shoe just contacts the J 21177-A .
    3. Repeat steps 9 through 11 for the opposite side.
    4. Install the rear brake rotors.
    5. Install the rear caliper brackets.
    6. Install the rear tire and wheel.
    7. Lower the vehicle to curb height.
    8. Set and release the park brake lever three times.
    9. Important: If the rear wheels rotate during the following test, readjust the parking brake shoes. Apply the parking brake. Inspect the rotation of the rear wheels:
      • The wheels should not rotate forward.
      • The wheels should not drag or rotate backward.
    1. Release the parking brake. Verify that the wheels rotate freely.
    2. Lower the vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't have those tools so I guess I need to go to the dealer
Expert:  Mauricio replied 6 years ago.
You can buy this tools at Autozone or you can go your local auto shop they should be able to this for you for under $100.