Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Mehanic 39 years,30 with the NYPD Fleet Service Division
1699649

96 Eldorado: Low oil pressure..only happens..Indicator goes..rpm

96 Eldorado. Info message comes on and displays " Low oil pressure, stop engine" This only happens periodically and only at Idle. Indicator goes out if increasing RPM very slightly. Oil was changes approx 100 miles ago. 147000 miles on engines and sits for weeks without running. Could this be a computer problem?
It can be a problem with the oil sending unit,or a low oil pressure problem with the engine.The only way to tell is remove the sending unit and test the pressure using a mechanical test gauge.If you have a least 5 psi at idle,you should be ok. I would then replace the sender. If the pressure is lower then this,you can hve wear in the engine causing a drop in oil presure. If so ,I would try using a slightly heavier weight oil,a 10w 30 conventional would be my choice.