Dave
Dave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E Technician

A 1999 911 that the top goes half way down then stops..hydrolic

Customer Question

We have a 1999 911 that the top goes half way down then stops. You can hear the hydrolic wining. Is there a way to add more fluid or is this a different problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
WelcomeCustomerbr />graphic
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
The hydraulic system is sensitive to penetration of dirt. As soon as the system is opened by the plug, a cloth must be placed under the hydraulic lines to catch escaping hydraulic oil.

The hydraulic convertible top uses a closed hydraulic system. In general, the hydraulic system will need to be filled only if the hydraulic circuit was opened (after parts replacement). Only Original Porsche hydraulic oil must be used when changing or topping up the hydraulic oil.

Opening and closing hydraulic valve of the hydraulic pump

Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve up to model year 2000
graphic

To open, insert the Allen key -A- into the hydraulic valve -B- and turn approx. 1 turn to the left.

To close, insert the Allen key into the hydraulic valve -B- and turn to the right.

Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve as of model year 2001
graphic

To open, insert the Allen key -A- into the hydraulic valve -B- through the bore -X- of the roll-over bar module and turn approx. 1 turn to the left.

To close, insert the Allen key -A- into the hydraulic valve -B- through the bore of the roll-over bar module -X- and turn to the right.

Filling the hydraulic system
It is essential to lay a cloth underneath the hydraulic pump when filling. Do not fill above the "Max" marking.

Filling the hydraulic system up to model year 2001
graphic

1. Unscrew plug.
  2. Fill system only using Original Porsche hydraulic oil.
  3. Screw in plug.
Filling the hydraulic system as of model year 2002
graphic

Bleeding the hydraulic system

CAUTION: Damage to the convertible-to frame it not running synchronously.

• Bleed the hydraulic system only after the hydraulic cylinders have been removed from the convertible-top sup- ports and drive levers on the left and right.

The system has a self-bleeding feature. Three to four operations will bleed the system. After bleeding, check the oil level in the container on the hydraulic pump and check if necessary.

To bleed, the hydraulic valve must be closed. Refer to "Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve up to model year 2000" and "Access for opening and closing the hydraulic valve as of model year 2001".

Line routing for replacing the right hydraulic cylinder as of model year 2002

Warning:

• Damage to hydraulic lines. Do not bend, trap or crush hydraulic lines during installation.
  • The spare hydraulic cylinder has hydraulic lines approx. twice the length of the standard component and can be installed on both sides. To prevent damage to the hydraulic lines caused by bending, trapping or crushing during installation, line routing has to be consequently carried out.
graphic
  1. Wrap the hydraulic lines around the support of the frame for the roll-over bar 1x. Fix the lines with a tie wrap arrow.
  2. The lines should be free of tension and twisting when connecting to the pump. Observe allocation of the hydraulic lines! -Blue, red- , refer to "Removing and installing hydraulic cylinders".