sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Fix exahause valve recirculation for 1997 chystal town and country

how do I fix exahause valve recirculation for 1997 chystal town and country
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.
Hi. The egr valve is bolted to the plenum near the throttle body. It makes it just a bit easier if you remove the throttle body. You will unplug the electrical connector from the egr solenoid and remove the vacuum line from it. Then you remove the two bolts from the egr valve and remove it with the solenoid from the plenum. It gets pretty warm back there, it would be a good idea to do it when the van was cold.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
when I scanned the car for trouble shooting, the code on the scanner is P0401 it states exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected what should I do when I get to Egr valve? looking foward to your reply

I would first check the vacuum line to the egr solenoid, its the black plastic piece with the vacuum lines and the electrical connnector. If the vacuum is ok with the engine running you can try to pull the valve off and clean it with some carb cleaner. If you clean it and put the valve back on and the code resets you will have to replace the valve. Most likely you will have to replace the valve for this code.