John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience
6408229

1997 BUICK LESABRE: IDLING..WAY BACK..CHECK ENGINE LIGHT..OBD II

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1997 BUICK LESABRE WITH A 3800 SERIES II ENGINE. MY OIL GAUGE CONSTANTLY REMAINS LIT WHILE THE CAR IS IDLING AND MOVES UPON ACCELERATION BUT FINDS ITS WAY BACK TO THE RED LIGHT AFTER A FEW SECONDS. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NOT ON AS I JUST HAD TO PASS EMISSIONS AND THERE WERE NO OBD II PROBLEMS AND MY CAR SUCCESSFULLY PASSED EMISSIONS 2 DAYS AGO. I HAVE ALSO JUST HAD A COMPLETE TUNE-UP AND OIL CHANGE LESS THAN A WEEK AGO, 2 DAYS AFTER I NOTICED THE PROBLEM. I'D LIKE TO KNOW WHY MY OIL GAUGE IS DOING THIS AND WHAT THE POSSIBLE CAUSE IS AND HOW CAN THIS BE REPAIRED. THE OIL GAUGE ITSELF IS NOT DEFECTIVE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT IT COULD BE THE HEAD GASKETS. I'VE ALSO BEEN TOLD THAT IT COULD BE THE PLENUM ( MANIFOLD ). I'D LIKE AN EXPERT TO HELP ME WITH THIS. THANK YOU. THERE IS A BONUS IN IT FOR THE CORRECT DIAGNOSIS.
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

If this is the oil pressure gauge reading low,of course the first thing would be to check the oil level.Next test the oil pressure.
  • Oil Pressure @ Operating Temperature (1850 RPM) Using 10W-30 Oil

414 kPa

60 psi min

If this is the oil level light,I have seen a bunch of oil level sensors(mounted in the side of the oil pan) fail.

If the oil pressure is low,I would suspect an oil pump.There is always the possibility of engine being run without oil or low on oil & severe engine wear will result.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
IT IS THE OIL LEVEL LIHT. SO WHICH DO YOU SUPPOSE I DO FIRST/ HOW DO I KNOW IF THE SENSOR IS WORKING OR NOT?
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Most likely it is the oil level sensor.You can disconnect the sensor & this should render the circuit inop.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
AND IF I REPLACE THIS SENSOR ($50) AND THAT DOES NOT CORRECT THE PROBLEM THEN WHAT COULD IT BE. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO SPEND $50 ON A SENSOR IF I DON'T HAVE TO.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
That is why you are disconnecting the sensor & checking it to start.This problem can be wiring or PCM related.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
SORRY BUT I AM NOT CAR SAAVY SO HOW DO I TEST THE SENSOR AT ALL
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Disconnect the sensor (at the side of the oil pan) .The light should go out & stay out.If it does it is the sensor.