Rexcars27
Rexcars27, Service and Parts Director
Experience:  26 years in the automotive service and parts industry
12096013

2002 buick Century: abs light is on and the trac..awhile..light goes

I have a 2002 buick Century and the anti skid brake system is giving trouble. The abs light is on and the trac off light is on. every once in awhile the light goes off and when you apply the brakes the abs activates because you can here the chatter that they make to verify this. I took it to a mechanic but the day I took it everything was working normal even the lights. The next day the lights came back on and I stopped back by the mechanic shop and he said i should take it to the dealer which had more sophisticated equipment for troubleshooting. Please advise; should I take his advise or find anothe local mechanic. Also enlighten me on a few things I might could do to eliminate this probelm.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rexcars27 replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer this will probably be a straightforward repair but will require access to a code scanner. Any reputable, up-to-date repair facility will have a code scanner. The scanner accesses the car's on board computers and looks for fault codes. Since your ABS light has been coming on, most likely there is a fault code stored. The code will point the technician in the right direction to start diagnosis. Find a better repair facility and they should be able to assist you.

As for a recall, there is none that are applicable to your car.

Rex

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I forgot to mention he had a scanner from snap on tools and said it was a good one at that. No codes showed up
Expert:  Rexcars27 replied 8 years ago.

It's unusual to have the light on but no code stored. If your first mechanic does not want to go into diagnosis, then it's really up to you as to finding another mechanic or going to the dealer. A Buick dealer will certainly have the most up to date information and will be more familiar with this car. Many times, a dealer ends up being the cheaper alternative because they can get it repaired right in the least amount of time

Rex