Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

98 sunfire: it cools down.The car leaks antifreeze..right wheel

Customer Question

I have a 98 sunfire when i turn on heat the car over heats. When i turn on fan it over heats turn it off it cools down.The car leaks antifreeze from around right wheel.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer It sounds like your waterpump is leaking. Step one is definately curing all coolant leaks and refilling the cooling system. Once you get that taken care of, you can confirm if the cooling fans operate and that you have good cirulation. Double check that the coolant is coming from behind the pulley on the waterpump. If it's wet there, that's where to start.

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have to check if this is wright. I think the fluid is coming from another point. I was thinking heater core. I was told by my wife it started after I flushed the radiator.

Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

The heatercore is at the firewall. If it is at the RF wheel, it is most likely the waterpump and that could leak as well after flushing the cooling system. Let me know what you find and what you need once you find it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you I'll check tomorrow.
Expert:  Ivan replied 7 years ago.

Ok, let me know what you find. Have a great night.