Clayso
Clayso, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.
9358908

Cadillac Deville: power steering pump..bolts..reservoir..A/C coolant

I am removing and replacing the power steering pump on my Cadillac Deville. The Pulley is blocking access to the 3 mounting bolts. I have borrowed a pulley puller from Autozone, (not a specialty puller) but there is only 1.5 inch clearance between the pulley and the reservoir for the A/C coolant, not enough room for the puller to be used. What is the trick?

Hi there. Your post does not give me information of

What year?

What engine?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1999 Cadillac Deville, 4.6L DOHC V8 (Northstar)

Hi there. Either this site misses the details or it is my computer, to tell the truth I blame this rock I am using.

I have a Caddy at work that I need to go to at this time, I will take a look so to answer this question more clearly.

graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is not an answer, but after you go to work and look, you will provide the answer, is that a correct understanding?
Hi there. Yes this is correct.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Ok,Smile

Just to let you know, (from the diagram you posted) my Cadillac does not have bolt #5, it has 3 bolt #4's. The 3rd is opposite the lower bolt in the diagram to become the upper bolt.

There is no way to remove the bracket (#1) with the pump and pulley attached that I see.

There are no clearance holes in the pulley.

Hi there. The number 5 bolt is to the left of the pump and almost under the pump, with a long extension and a 13mm socket go at an angle parallel with the rear bank cylinder head and you can get straight on the bolt in question.graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
You were correct about the 13mm bolt, it is completely obscured by the pump and without knowing it is there and trusting that the socket was going to hit it, I would not have known or been able to remove the pump. After I found the bolt, I was able to replace the pump in about an hour, and I am back to driving the car. Thanks

Hi there. You are very welcome. Thank you.

Clayso.