GM-Frank
GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..

95 buick park ave. 3.8.

95 buick park ave. 3.8. Not supercharged. Riding rough. Leveling compressor used to kick in when car was jacked up for oil change, etc. I replaced the plennum and now the compressor isn't kicking in. Am sure all wiring was reconnected. Fuses seem ok. Is there a relay for this system? Are the compressors known to go bad? Where is the comp located?
Category: Car
Expert:  GM-Frank replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Location of Suspension leveling compressor is left of engine compartment..

graphic

graphic

graphic

Compressor Relay is in position "E" in the Relay Center.

graphic

Relay Center Location under dash panel lower right front corner of

drivers compartment:

graphic

Be sure fuses 9B ( 20 amp) and 5B a (10 amp) are good. They are located in the IP fuse block. Use a 12 volt test lamp to check for power on both sides of these fuses. 9B should have power on both sides at all times. 5B should have power on both sides with Ignition key in Run position.

graphic

graphic

IP fuse block near parking brake control.

graphic

DESCRIPTION
The height sensor controls two circuits, compressor relay coil ground circuit and exhaust solenoid coil ground circuit. To prevent energizing the compressor relay and exhaust solenoid circuits during normal ride motions, the sensor circuit provides a predetermined delay before the ground circuit is completed. The sensor electronically limits compressor run time and exhaust solenoid energized time. This limit function is necessary to prevent continuous compressor operation in case of a system leak or continuous exhaust solenoid operation. This timer is reset whenever the ignition is turned Off and On, or height sensor exhaust or compressor signal changes. The height sensor is mounted to the body frame in the rear of the vehicle. The sensor actuator arm is attached to the control arm by a short link.

Testing:

Level sensor locations.

graphic

CAUTION: When diagnostic procedures require that vehicle be raised on a hoist, it is important that the rear axle assembly remains in the normal trim height position at all times. When a frame contact hoist is used, two additional jack stands should be used to support the rear axle or control arms in the normal trim height position.

1. Turn ignition Off, then On. This will reset height sensor timer circuits.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist. Ensure rear wheels or axle housing are supported and that vehicle is at proper trim height.
  3. Disconnect link from height sensor arm, then ensure sensor wiring and harness ground are connected properly.
  4. Move sensor arm upward. There should be a delay of 8-15 seconds before compressor turns on and shocks start to inflate. As soon as shocks start to fill, stop compressor by moving sensor arm down.
  5. Move sensor arm down below position where compressor stopped. There should be a delay of 8-15 seconds before shocks start to deflate and vehicle lowers.

Check to see if the compressor is receiving a voltage signal. If the power and ground are OK when the compressor is commanded on, and it does not respond, the compressor is faulty.

The compressors may last the entire life of the vehicle, or they can fail in 10 years or sooner.

I hope this information helps

Take Care

Frank

GM-Frank, ASE Master Certified
Experience: 37 Years Automotive Diagnosis & Repair. Experience with all makes and models..