MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
5229702

HOW DO I INSTALL GAS LIFT TRUNK SUPPORTS IN A 2003 CADILLAC

Customer Question

HOW DO I INSTALL GAS LIFT TRUNK SUPPORTS IN A 2003 CADILLAC CTS. "SOMEWHAT" MECH INCLINED. 70 YO MALE WANT DO DO IT MYSELF. THANKS
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Can I assume that you are trying to replace the supports that are already in place?

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES! I REMOVED THE OLD ONES AND NOW TRYING TO PUT THE NEW ONES ON.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

I now see the addition information that you were typing in.

Let me give you the procedure from the service manual and see if that helps. It is posted below:

Strut Replacement - Rear Compartment Lid (Coupe/Sedan)

Removal Procedure

Caution

When a hood hold open device is being removed or installed, provide alternate support to avoid the possibility of damage to the vehicle or personal injury.

Notice

Apply pressure only at the end of the liftgate/hood assist rod that you are removing or attaching. Do NOT apply pressure to the middle of the rod because damage or bending will result.

graphic

1. Open and support the rear compartment lid.
  2. Using a small flat bladed tool, release the clip retaining the rear compartment lid assist rod to the lower assist rod ball stud.
  3. Using a small flat bladed tool, release the clip retaining the rear compartment assist rod to the upper assist rod ball stud.
  4. Remove the rear compartment lid assist rod from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

graphic

1. Press the rear compartment lid assist rod onto the upper rear compartment lid assist rod ball stud.
  2. Press the rear compartment lid assist rod onto the lower assist rod ball stud.
  3. Ensure that both clips are fully seated on the rear compartment assist rod.
  4. Close the rear compartment.

Typically, you would have to lift the trunk lid an EXTRA amount to get the end of the strut to snap in.

Please let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
DID NOT GET AN ANSWER - ONLY GOT "LET ME GIVE YOU TH" ?????
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again.

I was editing and accidently clicked the wrong button. Please read the edited post again and let me know if you can see it all.

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THE TRUNK IS COMPLETELY OPENED. THE ROD IS TOO LONG ALREADY - BY 1/4 INCH. I CANNOT CLOSE THE GAS ROD BY THE 1/4 INCH BECAUSE THE PRESSURE IS TOO STRONG FOR ME TO PUSH THE ROD IN WHILE THE TOP OF THE ROD IS IN PLACE. NOTE: THE ROD HOLES THAT SNAP THE ROD INTO PLACE ARE TOO FAR APART BY 1/4 INCH. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO CLOSE THE ROD BY THAT 1/4 INCH BUT I AM UNSUCCESSFUL. I HAVE PUT ITEMS UNDERNEATH BUT THE ROD CONTINUALLY SLIPS AND DOES NOT CLOSE THE 1/4 INCH NECESSARY TO SNAP IT ON. EVEN WHEN THE RODS ARE OFF I CANNOT CLOSE THEM EVEN 1/4 OF AN INCH. I KNOW I MUST HAVE SOME TOOL OR SOME METHOD TO PUT UNDER THE BOTTOM PORTION OF THE GAS LIFT - CLOSE THE TRUNK A SLIGHT BIT AND SNAP THE BOTTOM INTO PLACE, OR, FIND SOME WAY TO CLOSE THE GAS LIFT BY JUST A 1/4 OF AN INCH AND SNAP INTO PLACE. JACK
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi Jack,

Is it possible that you have received the wrong length lift support?

If you lay a new one and the old one side-by-side, are they the same length?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
YES. GAVE THEM THE NUMBERS OF THE OLD ONES AND THE CAR DATA. GUESS I WILL HAVE TO TAKE THEM BACK AND LET CADILLAC PUT THE LIFTS ON FOR ME. DAH! THAT WILL BE ABOUT $150.00. THANKS ANYWAY. JACK
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Are the holes for the lifts in the same EXACT position on both the OLD and NEW lifts?

It seems strange that they would come out but not go back in.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I TOOK THE GAS LFTS BACK TO THE AUTO PARTS STORE AND GOT MY MONEY BACK. I AM GOING TO TAKE THE CAR IN TO CADILLAC TO HAVE THEM PUT THE PART ON THE TRUNK. I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP BUT DID NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM OF INSTALLING THE GAS LIFT. JACK
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

No problem. Please let us know if you need help in the future.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANK YOU. JACK