MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems

1998 DeVille: front power windows..work ok..left front..window switch

Customer Question

front power windows in 1998 DeVille will not work...rears work ok...replaced left front window switch but stll will not work.
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Can you tell me if the rear windows work from the driver's main switch, only from the rear switches, or both (front & rear switches)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The rear windows work from the driver's main switch and the rear switches...
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Hi again,

It is good that the rear windows work from both switches. This means that you are getting power to the system. I have included the schematic for the system below, and it shows that there is only one circuit breaker (no fuses) for the system.

graphic

If you can follow the schematic, it shows that the switches are used to supply Power (12 volts) and Ground to the window motors in opposite polarities to make the windows go up and down.

So we will have to do some troubleshooting by tracing the signals when the switches are used in each direction. I would start on the driver side front window, as there are less things to trace at that point.

Do you have a test light or multimeter that you can use to do some testing?

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Hi again - Sorry for the delay.

Here are diagrams of the two connectors at the driver side window switch, along with the signals that are on each connector.

Connector C1:

graphic

Connector Part Information

• 12064998
  • 8-Way F Metri-Pack 280 Series (BLK)

Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

A

LT BLU

166

Power Window Master Switch-Right Front Window-Up

B

BRN

1244

Instrument Panel Lamp Feed No. 2

C

DK GRN

168

Power Window Master Switch Output-Left Rear Window -Up

D

--

--

Not Used

E

LT GRN

170

Power Window Master Switch Output-Right Rear Window -Up

F

PPL

171

Power Window Master Switch Output-Right Rear Window -Down

G

TAN

167

Power Window Master Switch Output-Right Window -Down

H

PPL

169

Power Window Master Switch Output-Left Rear Window -Down

Connector C2:

graphic

Connector Part Information

• 12064752
  • 6-Way F Metri-Pack 280 Series (BLK)

Pin

Wire Color

Circuit No.

Function

A

BLK

50

Ground

B

BRN

165

Power Window Motor Feed-Left Front-Down

C

PNK

70

Delayed Accessory Bus Relay Output

D

DK BLU

1307

Power Window Master Switch Output-Lockout

E

--

--

Not Used

F

DK BLU

164

Power Window Feed-Left Front Window-Up

What we want to do is measure for signals when the switches are used.

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Using the schematic and the diagrams above, measure for Ground at each of the wires for the driver's window (Connector C2, pins B & F).

When the switch is set to raise the window, you should see 12 volts on Pin F, and Ground on Pin B.

When the switch is set to lower the window, you should see 12 volts on Pin B and Ground on Pin F (polarity is reversed).

You should make these measurements with the key turn to the ON position.

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

I also want to send you the description of the system, as that might help with troubleshooting. This is a PDF file (2 pages long) that you should be able to view on your computer and print.

Power Window Description

Please let me know what you find.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got to go see the Longhorns and Red Raiders right now will get back to you soon.
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 5 years ago.

Have fun.

Let me know what you find when you get back.

Take Care, Greg A.