Gaz Robinson
Gaz Robinson, Auto mechanic and MOT Tester
Experience:  18 years knowledge of the MOT test and general automotive skills.

I have a 1999 Vauxhall corsa 1.4 16v and have a bad oil leak

I have a 1999 Vauxhall corsa 1.4 16v and have a bad oil leak which is dripping on the floor. I have taken it to a mechanic who has replaced the pressure switch as he states this is a common problem and the car has had a full service. The oil is still leaking. I am due to take the car back on monday but would like some suggestions to what it could be.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gaz Robinson replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The most likely source of the leak is either the sump gasket, or the front or rear crank shaft seals. Ideally, if possible you should have the engine steam cleaned or jet washed from underneath, and the with the engine running, check to see where the oil is coming from. As it sounds like a bad leak, it should be fairly easy to spot.

The front crank seal is fairly difficult to replace, as it's behind the pulley and timing belt etc. the rear crank shaft seal is also difficult to replace as the gear box, clutch and flywheel will have to be removed. To replace the sump gasket, obviously the sump has to come off.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards, Gary.