Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer
12136997

1999 Chrysler LHS: trouble starting..the key and hear a clicking noise

Customer Question

Our 1999 Chrysler LHS has trouble starting. We turn the key and hear a clicking noise. Sometimes it takes 20 tries to start the car. Also sometimes when I'm driving the lights on the dashboard click on and off. Any thoughts??? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Hello

Welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Glenn. I would like to try to help you with your question.

YOU SAID:

Optional Information:
1999 Chrysler LHS V^

Already Tried:
We had to get the car jump started yesterday.

The items I have underlined lead me to believe that you have a battery problem. If the engine consistently starts with a boost/jump start but won't start on its own, as long as the battery terminals are tight and the posts are clean, I'd suggest that you either have the battery tested or replaced.

There have been igntion switch issues on these cars as well, but if that was the problem it's likely that you would have had a problem even when jump-starting.

Please let me know if you need more information. If you have a DVOM (Digital volt ohm meter) and can tell you how to perform some basic tests yourself.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well we got a new battery today and we still have the same problem. I try to start the car and it goes click. The dashboard lights up and the windows can go up and down...but the car won't start, if i keep trying for 10 to 25 times to turn the key sometimes it will start. The guy at S&S tire that replaced the battery said he thought it was the starter selinoid. We're kind of going crazy with this car ...what do you think it is? Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.
Now I'm a bit confused. Will it start now with a boost/jump ? Please advise.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sure it will start witha boost or jump and sometimes it will start when we turn the key...BUT it's kind of a 1 out of 10 to 50 times...and sometimes when I turn the wheel as I start it it will start or other times if I pust the window button and the window goes down the car will start. all the lights in the dashbaord come on when I try to start it. I don't know if it's the starter , alternator, whole electrical system or just one really messed up car. I really would hate to pump another $500 into this car UNLESS I'm sure it will be fixed. Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Ok, now this is a different situation. Your earlier post said "we had to get the car jump started yesterday". I didn't see anything in that information about this being a 1 in 10 time issue. My answers will only be as good as the information I have to work with. It's important not to hold back on details like that.

You said: We had to get the car jump started yesterday.

I replied: The items I have underlined lead me to believe that you have a battery problem. If the engine consistently starts with a boost/jump start but won't start on its own, as long as the battery terminals are tight and the posts are clean, I'd suggest that you either have the battery tested or replaced.

Ok, I'll assume the battery tested bad here.

I've had some input from other experts. Derrick has suggested that your problem may lie in the negative battery connection or the headlamp switch (regarding the flickering lights)

I said : If you have a DVOM (Digital volt ohm meter) and can tell you how to perform some basic tests yourself.

I am sorry that replacing the battery has not corrected the problem. I'd like to help you further here.

Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

I may have misread your reply... check to see if it starts with a boost please. If it does, did you thoroughly clean the battery terminals and tighten them when you replaced the battery?

If it starts EVERY TIME with a boost and it doesn't start otherwise, poor connection at the battery terminals could be the culprit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't understand, do you think this is the starter or something else? Thanks
Expert:  Glenn replied 6 years ago.

Ok, good... when you don't understand something I have said, it's important to stop me and ask.

No, at the moment I'm not sure what the cause is. That's why I've asked a question. I think its possible that there may be an issue with battery connections. I NNED YOU TO ANSWER MY QUESTION, OK? Does it start now with a boost?

Your previous reply seemed to me to be telling me that it starts RELIABLY, EVERY TIME, WITH A BOOST. IS this the case? Or IS STARTING WITH A BOOST HIT AND MISS AS WELL. I need to understand this before I make any other suggestions.

If it still CONSISTENLY STARTS WITH a BOOST, but doen't start on its own, there appears to be something wrong with the connections at the battery. If you had access to digital meter, I could check this with you, but I understand that you don't have one of those.

PLEASE NOTE:

Your answers to my questions will allow me to try to identify the correct approach to be taken to try to solve your problem or to answer your question.

Our success depends on your ability to explain to me what you think your problem is and my ability to understand your explanation.

It's my responsibility to try to give you suggestions in "clear language" that you can use to repair your car or to explain to your repair shop what you want done. Let me know if you need a copy of this post to forward to your repair shop. I can provide an attachment to this message that you can download and print or email to your repair shop.

It's important not to leave details out, even if they seem unrelated. Please try to answer any questions I give you as completely as possible and ask me to explain further if you don't understand what I'm asking. As peculiar as some of my questions may seem, I assure you that there is always a reason for my asking.

In many cases my ability to help IS EXTREMELY LIMITED due to the complexity of the system involved and/or the availability of test equipment at your end. I try EXTREMELY hard to come up with suggestions and tests that will get around these issues. While I may not always be able to come up with a fix, I guarantee that I will provide you with background information on the situation you are encountering so that you can better understand and communicate your problem to a repair facility.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.