Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer

Running fine..it quite literally dies on me, and cannot start up again

I was just in my car, getting ready to head out. It was running fine, but after I turn out the lights it quite literally dies on me, and cannot start up again. What happened?
Category: Car
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Welcome to JustAnswer.

My name is Glenn. I would like to try to help you with your question.

If you turn the lights back on will it start?

Has there been another other problems recently with the way the engine runs?

Thanks.

PLEASE NOTE:

Your answers to my questions will allow me to try to identify the correct approach to be taken to try to solve your problem or to answer your question.

Our success depends on your ability to explain to me what you think your problem is and my ability to understand your explanation.

It's my repsponsibility to try to give you suggestions in "clear language" that you can use to repair your car or to explain to your repair shop what you want done. Let me know if you need a copy of this post to forward to your repair shop. I can provide an attachment to this message that you can download and print or email to your repair shop.

It's important not to leave details out, even if they seem unrelated. Please try to answer any questions I give you as completely as possible and ask me to explain further if you don't understand what I'm asking. As peculiar as some of my questions may seem, I assure you that there is always a reason for my asking.

In many cases my ability to help IS EXTREMELY LIMITED due to the complexity of the system involved and/or the availability of test equipment at your end. I try EXTREMELY hard to come up with suggestions and tests that will get around these issues. While I may not always be able to come up with a fix, I guarantee that I will provide you with background information on the situation you are encountering so that you can better understand and communicate your problem to a repair facility.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried starting it with the lights off, and the lights on. Either way it doesnt work, and now the doesnt light up either.

Also there is a strange noise coming from the dashboard when I try to light up the headlights.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello again.

You said Tried starting it with the lights off, and the lights on. Either way it doesnt work, and now the doesnt light up either.

It sounds like you may have a battery issue... I'd suggest you try starting your car with a JUMPER CABLES connected to another vehicle. If you have access to a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) I can help you test further if necessary.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced MVMechanic (Canada) , Technical Trainer