Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic

2004 Hyundai Elantra: im replacing the clutch..heck..transaxle..bolts

Customer Question

I'm replacing the clutch on a 2004 Hyundai Elantra and having a heck of a time separating the transaxle from the engine. All the bolts between the trans and engine are out, the starter is off, I have a trans jack holding the trans and the engine is supported by the engine hooks. I have them separated by about a 3/4 inch gap but can't get them fully apart. Am I missing something?
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 7 years ago.

It's all a matter of equilizing the pressure between the two of them...just a 1/4" makes a HUGE difference, or it will hang just have to jockey the trans jack with the engine hoist,,JUST A LITTLE and it will swing free,,,,,hope you understand.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand that and have fiddled with raising and lowering the jack tiny amounts to balance it as best I can. I am able to wiggle the transaxle quite freely, but every time I pull, it seems to hang up on something. I've checked the entire periphery and there is nothing attached.

Sory for the delay. think i found the problem,,,,the clutch release lever has to be removed first.

If not, please click on ACCEPT

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That did the trick, thanks. Unfortunately, there's no room to actually remove the transaxle, so I'm doing the clutch replacement with the trans in place, but at least it's separated enough to get in there. Thanks.

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for asking!