Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes

20-30 min I get a gearbox default message and the transmission lurches

Customer Question

I have 2001 vdp with 148K. After driving 20-30 min I get a gearbox default message and the transmission lurches. What am I looking at here in regards XXXXX XXXXX and/or repair?
Category: Car
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

You may have an internal mechanical failure inside the transmission but since the gearbox fault light is on there shold be codes stored in the transmission control module. You will need a compatible scan tool to read these codes. You also have the ABS/ASC light on in addition to the gearbox fault so this may or may not be related. You will need to find a shop that can read all these codes. Once you have the codes let me know so I can assist you with the diagnosis and repair.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was nothing more than I already knew. I was looking for a more definitive response.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
It can be a transmission problem or maybe an electronic throttle problem. WIthout those stored codes it's impossible for me to tell you what the problem is. You can try your local auto parts stores as they usually will scan your vehicle at no charge. If you can get the codes get back to me so we can proceed with the diagnosis and repair of the problem.