Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

Jaguar: I discovered that my fuel tank door is broken off

Hi, I have a x series jaguar. I discovered that my fuel tank door is broken off tonight upon walking back to my car. I am looking to get some type of idea of the cost to get a new fuel door and possible labor for such a job
Category: Car
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

What year is your Jag? X-Type or XJ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2005
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
X-Type or XJ series?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
x type awd vdp
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Ok

I am trying to get on the Jag site but it's down for maintenace probably for the weekend. If I can remember correctly the part costs about $90.00 but will have to be painted for about $50.00 plus .5 hour labor to install it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
are you saying five hours of labor or .5 hours of labor? so, the door does not come in different colors? My car is black. Do I have to get this done at the jaguar place? How much do you estimate such a repair is going to cost. It seems like they will need to remove the panel after removing the tire to get to the remaining part attached to the car. Is this correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
If the door only needs to be replaced it's .5 (one half hour). The door comes paint to match meaning it will have to be painted. So parts and labor including paint is about $200.00. If the whole fuel bowl needs to be replaced the cost will be more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean fuel bowl?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
The fuel bowl is the whole housing. The door can be replaced seperately as long as the housing is not damaged which in your case it does not sound like it is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the housing located. Is the housing holding the swinging piece in place? If so, that is still attached and still pulls out and swings just fine with the part of the door that is remaining. Is this a part that is usually in stock at jaguar?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok then you will just need the door. As far as the parts availabilty most dealers may have the part in stock but if not depending on where the dealer is located they can order the part in one day.
Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes