Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year ASE Master Technician Current GM technician
12642649

I ran my 03 duramax out of gas..I put a quarter tank in now

Customer Question

I ran my 03 duramax out of gas..I put a quarter tank in now it wont start and i have tried to pump/prime it with that siver cylinder on top of the fuel pump. But when i loosen the vent valve fuel comes out right away. EWhat am i doing wrong??
Category: Car
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

is the bleeder a black plastic lookin screw?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
Can't remember if its collored or not. Don't pay that much attension to the color. It takes a straight screw driver. if that helps. I couldn't find a picture but i'll look again.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok i loosened it and pumped and fuel came streaming out..Then i tighten it then try to start it?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.
No Puit with the screw closed untill the primer pump it tight. Then open the bleeder.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok where is the bleeder?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.

The bleeder screw is on the top of the filter housing by the silver thing that you pump.

If you ran it out of fuel, you could have some contaminated fuel. Here is the steps to remove water from the system. You may want to replace the filter also.

Water-in-Fuel Draining

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Attach a small piece of hose to the drain cock onto the water-in-fuel sensor.
  2. Place an approved fuel-resistant container under the fuel filter.
  3. Open the drain cock three or four turns or until the water contaminated fuel seeps from the drain cock.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Operate the priming pump until only diesel fuel is visible. Allow the pump to return upwards between pushes.
  5. Tighten the drain cock.
  6. Remove the container and hose.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok thats all done..now try and start it?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how long do i crank it for? and do i pump the gas peddle?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 years ago.

After you pump it up and bleed it till all air is out. You crank it over. Then prime it and bleed it again. Then crank it some more. Pumping the pedal wont help much, try holding the pedal 1/4 way down.

Let me know what happens