Tech Xpert
Tech Xpert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years of experience including ASE Master Tech 27 certifications, L1 Advanced Diagnosis

running fine..warning..Its not overheating and it has a new battery

Customer Question

my girlfriends car seems to be running fine and then without any warning , the engine shuts down and she has too sit there for 5 to 10 minuets before it will turn over and she can start it. Its not overheating and it has a new battery
Category: Car
Expert:  Tech Xpert replied 7 years ago.

The first step is to see if you have spark and fuel when this is happening.

Once the problem happens, check for spark by pulling the coil wire, hold it near a ground and see if there is spark while you have someone crank it. This car is a known distributor problem that causes this condition.

If it has spark, squirt some starting fluid into the air cleaner area. If it starts, you know you have a fuel problem.

Also, you should check for trouble codes before anything.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cant except this answer because I mentioned that everything goes dead so it wont crank so it wont do any good to put gas in the aircleaner I knew enough to do every thing he mentioned If I could

Oh, I didn't realize that everything goes dead. I thought that the problem was that it wouldn't start. So you are saying that the engine shuts off and then it doesn't crank or anything?

When this happens, do the electrical things still work in the vehicle like the dash warning lights and the heater, and the headlights or is the whole electrical system out?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she said that everything shuts off or at least what she could see from inside the car. If she waits around 5 minuets she can start it up and drive away like nothing happened.

It is a very rare condition in which the engine would cut off while you are in the middle of driving and every electrical thing is inoperative, and then after waiting, it all comes back on and everything is good. In fact I have never seen this condition before. There is no master circuit breaker or anything like that.

Before we can go any further, we need to have a more accurate description on what goes out and what works when the car dies.