Elated Technician
Elated Technician, ASE Advanced Master Technician
Experience:  16 yrs exp, Auto/Diesel Associates degree, ASE Master w/ Advanced cert, Saab Master and BMW level 4

2002 saturn vue 3.0 liter (saab motor) starts up but doesnt

2002 saturn vue 3.0 liter (saab motor) starts up but doesnt stay running. unless i feather the pedal up to 3 to 4000 rpms.   it will stay running. tried fuel filter no luck. i cant find the port to check fuel pressure!
HelloCustomer <br /><br />I am very familiar with the Saab engine. The fuel pressure fitting is on the fuel rail on the front side near the timing belt end of the engine.

As far as the throttle issue, it sounds like you have a throttle body problem. Do you have a check engine light on? If you turn the key on do you hear five clicks from under the hood?

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
checked fuel pressure its @ 59 psi @ startup. sounds like it has a vacum leak . no clicks heard when key is turned on just humming noise. air cleaner off i can see the throttle body opening. fuel port is in the back drivers rear of engine bay

It shounds like the Saturn and Saab engines have some variences, most likely since the saab engine is turbocharged and would require some differences.

Is the check engine light on?

It is interesting you said it sounds like a vacuum leak. This could be due to the fact you have the air cleaner off and are hearing the air rushing past the throttle plate. Based on your symptom, it could be a true vacuum leak as well.

I would first check the intake boots and vacuum hoses for any cracks or splits. If you can, gently remove the brake booster hose and plug it off. Check if the car starts and runs normally. If so, you have a faulty brake booster. If not, check the intake for leaks by sparying brake clean around all the juncitons and hoses off the intake. The soft vacuum hoses can be crimped off with some piers.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
tried brakecleaner around front of intake and around at the back of intake transmission side. there are two round cylinder looking objects @ back of intake. i was spraying in this area and the engine started to stay running. it backfired and caught the engine on fire!    luckley i always have a fire extinguisher by my feet when spraying! put out fire/came back 1/2 hour later it started up and runs great now! EGR valve must be in that area.

Glad to hear the fire did not spread; that could have been a real problem.

I am guessing the two round plugs are somehow related to the EGR from what you are stating. (The more we talk the more I realize the saab v6 engine had a number of differences.)

A stuck open EGR valve would certainly cause a similar symptom. A way you can test it is to apply vacuum to the valve at idle, if the engine stumbles and dies, the valve is working. If there is no change, then it open (if running rough) or jammed closed.   Since it runs better after it backfired the valve may have cleared. If there is a way to remove the valve and plug the port for a temporary check of the running, I would try that. Remember there is a high amount of manifold vacuum so take care in what you plug the port with.

Keep me updated in what you find.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
saturn hasnt did the stalling thing since brake kleen check?

It has been some time since the original post. I'm glad to hear the car is running well again.

I'm not sure why the car has repaired itself. The brake clean check may have cleared something up or possibly you moved something back into position. Sometimes cars can be mysterious. The colder weather could have possibly influenced it to work correctly.

Anyhow, I don't know if you are interested in paying for the advice (not a must, but certainly welcomed). If so, just reply so I can set the account to accept payment.

Have a good holiday season.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks jason i think it was the egr valve stuck open. being electric now adays maybe carbon who knows!

That could very well be the case based on the symptoms and the fact it came and went without any real adjustments.

Using top tier fuel (fuel stations like shell, chevron, phillips 66) will help keep deposits down and will prevent the carbon build up which could have caused the issue in the first place.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
always use good grade thanks again