Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

1998 Grand Am: 2.4L V6..temperature gauge..works fine

1998 Grand Am, 2.4L V6. Temperature gauge indicates the car is getting to operating temperature, however there is no heat coming from the heater. Heater blower works fine, just blows cold air. No smell of burning antifreeze, so I believe my heater core is not the issue. Any suggestions?
Category: Car
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 5 years ago.

The first thing that comes to mind is what is called the "Thermostat" it manages engine temp to allow the engine to get up to the proper temp for the coolant to go through the heater core, thus allowing the heater to operate. First suggestion is to have the t-stat replaced (regular maintence item anyway) than if still no heat, check the heater hoses(2) going into and out of the heater core and see if both are HOT to the touch,,if so the problem lies within the"blend" door in the heater box if one hose is hotter than the other that would indicate a restriction in the heater core. If you need instructions on replacing the t-stat just let me know,,,it should be done for maint reasons anyway. If not, It's an inexpensive replacement at any repair shop.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply.

If not, please click on ACCEPT

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX thinking perhaps the T-Stat was the issue. Could you give me instructions on replacing it in this car?

Here you are.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

TIP: Fill the tube with antifreeze before you install the t-stat.

Virtual Wrench (L J), Master Mechanic
Experience: 35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic