Ask a Car Mechanic and Get Answers to Your Car Questions ASAP
First of all, with regards XXXXX XXXXX fan being inop, it is most likely the fan itself or the fan relay.
First check all of your fuses, but if they are ok:
WIth the engine running and AC on, try tapping on the fan motor with a hammer. If the fan comes on you have a bad fan, if not, you most likely have a bad fan relay, but you should check power/ground at the fan, here is the wiring diagram:
Next, with regards XXXXX XXXXX battery dying:
If your battery is ok and your alternator is ok, the only other cause is parasidic draw with the engine off.
Here is how to perform your IOD test (but do it at the negative ground jump post under the hood instead of the battery itself to make it easier).
CAUTION: Do not open any doors, or turn on any electrical accessories with the lowest milliampere scale selected, or the multi-meter may be damaged.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!
A blown fuse would keep the fan from coming on and therefore the car would overheat.
It would not cause parasidic draw though.
Take a look at this and talk to you mechanic and please feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
No, these are two different problems.
Your fan is not coming on for some reason (fan motor/relay/fuse).
Your battery is dying most likely as a result of parasidic draw (amperage draw when the car is off), like leaving your lights on, but most likely a much smaller amount. Make sure you dont have any components plugged in like phone chargers or dome lights left on overnight.
Anyways, those are your two issues you are having.
Let me know if you have any more questions!
Sounds great, I will be looking forward to your reply.
In the meantime, if you hav any more questions, feel free to ask!
Im glad you got it figured out!
ok here is something u can help me with and if u can check my activities i pay just for a the right name of the part so im reliable. Ok here is the problem now. my car battery dont die anymore after takin it to the machanic nor did it run hot, but the water was bubbleing in the water tank and a lil hole, looks like its a normal suppose to be there hole on the water tank. Now remember its a 2001 chrysler sebring 2.7l engine so maybe u have a pic u can also show me of the water tank and if it does have a lil hole. So after i drive the water is boiling and the lil hole lets off smoke but still car didnt run hot. I got annoyed of the smoke coming from out my hood so i cover up the hole and thats where the problem started, costed my car to run hot a lil. After that happened i moved the cover from the little hole now the problem is my fan don't come on when i have the sensor hooked up to the coolant water outlet sensor but when i move the sensor out of it the fan spins normal, can u tell me what might be costin that.Also when i drive a little distance the water is still bubbleing and boiling but now the water is coming out at the bottom of my car and now my engine gets hotter. i dont know what might be wrong but please see if u can help me out. so lets go over it again
1. fan wont come on when sensor is hooked up to the coolant water outlet
2. water is coming out of the car at the bottom, like something is leaking
3. seem like the car is running hot because the engine feels hotter than usual small distance.
Thank you alot if u can help me out.
Well if your car is overheating, it will boil over and out of the overflow tank.
If it is boiling over, you are overheating still.
This is most likely as a result of the fan not working.
Have you done some troubleshotting as to checking power and grounds?
Well if you have a hole in your system, the would cause a leak and eventually cause overheating.
I will get a picture for you, but are you looking for a picture of the radiator or the overflow bottle?
Ok that is the overflow bottle, and the sensor is the coolant level sensor.
Here is a picture:
Is there a hole/crack in this somewhere?
This is a pressurized unit and if there is a hole/crack as the fluid pressurizes it will leak out and overheat.
Ok, well your cooling system is boiling over, that is normal when you are overheating. The reason you are overheating is most likely because your fan is not coming on. That is what we need to troubleshoot first.
I will be back later with wiring diagrams.
If the car works fine with the level sensor unplugged, then when you plug it back in the fna stops working, I would be led to beleive you have a shorted sensor that brings down the fan when it is pluggged in.
Exactly which sensor are you talking about?
You have a failed bleeder housing. They go bad all the time on these engines.
Just call your local Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer's parts department and ask for it. They should have one in stock and they are relatively cheap.
Just replace this and top off your coolant and you should be good to go. The new housing has a new sensor installed already.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more quetsions!
do u have a pic of the bleeding housing isnt it the little top on the coolant outlet? if so i just got the whole thing brand new so please let me know if u mean the top of it. also someone told me its normal for the fan to not blow always and that is blow only when the computer sends a indication that the engine is gettin hot and need to be cool so the fan comes. But the whole coolant water outlet is brand new everything i just bought
The bleeder housing is the entire assembly you had the picture of. Just buy a new one of those and you sould be good to go.
The fan should only come on when the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) tells it to. But the PCM receives the temp input from the failed sensor that you are replacing, so your problem will be taken care of.
Well the temp sensor most likely failed and that caused the fan to not turn on, therefore the car overheated and the coolant pressurized and leaked out of the bleeder housing (which is designed very poorly to begin with), and htat is where you are at.
The problem is the temp sensor. Once that is fixed with the bleeder housing, you should be good to go.
Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions!