JonathanOnny
JonathanOnny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  fully certified gm tech and hybrid trained
6124003

Saturn 1999 sc1, windshield wipers will not stop running unless

Customer Question

Saturn 1999 sc1, windshield wipers will not stop running unless the fuse is removed. While running, all the speeds work (high med low), mist function works. The intermitting control does not work. Also, the ign. key must be turned on for the wipers to work. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  JonathanOnny replied 5 years ago.
sounds like you have a bad switch. try to unplug the switch and see if the wipers stay running? if not then the switch is no good. also if you want to check it electrically you can measure voltage at the back side of the switch. you should have no voltage when off. if you do then the internal switch is no good and will have to be replaced. thanks for using just answer let me know if this helps. thanks again Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks for the fast response. where do I unplug the switch? Also, the guy at the autoparts store thought it was the "park or Home" position sensor on the wiper motor. But he wasn't sure if Saturns are set up this way.
the switch is behind the steering column shroud. look under the steering column shroud where you well see three 5.5mm bolts. then remove the shroud out of the way and behind you will see an electrical connector for the wiper switch. also saturn dont have a park sensor they use the part position inside the wiper module. or wiper motor set up
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, you have been very helpful. How do I determine if it is the switch or the wiper module?

well most of the times have been faulty wiper switch. almost never the wiper module for the always on complaint. like i said above you will have to check voltage at the switch when its off all should be 0 volts except the red wire which will be 12 hot. thanks again Jon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I removed the shroud. the connector has a black, brown and purple wire?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

There are 2 connectors the smaller one has the black, brown and purple wires. when this connector is disconnected the wipers do not work.

The other has yellow, red, orange, purple, green, blue, purple. When this connector is disconnected from the switch the wipers still run. Also, there is 12.75 v on the orange wire only. all others read zero. Please stick with me on this!!

ok the connector that makes it not work is the connector that is hook up to the wipers. i will give you the exact wire to check in a little bit do you need the information tonight? i will most likely be back online tomorrow night. but off the top of my head you should only have purple wire when the wipers are on and the brown wire is a signal wire that will be reduce voltage when you are on different speeds. and the black is ground. if you give me a little more time i can even get you a schematic when i go to work tomorrow. thanks again Jon
JonathanOnny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: fully certified gm tech and hybrid trained
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds great I will wait until tommorow
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

I have enjoyed reading this expert's postings and I am providing the wiring diagram you requested as a courtesy to him. . I fully agree with his assessment of the situation.

Click here to download the wiring diagram.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the wiring diagram.

When I remove the connector (blk.brn.prpl) the wipers stop. faulty switch?

If so,

What is the proper method to replace this switch?

first i would like to say im sorry i was unable to get back to you tomorrow i was busy with the family after work. but in order to remove the switch you will have to remove the air bag. there should be two bolt covers on the back of the steering wheel remove the two 8mm bolts from the steering wheel. ( note you should disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes this will discharge the air bags) then when that is removed you will see a 21mm nut (gold in color) remove this nut then you will have to jerk the steering wheel back and forth til it comes free. after that is remove you will have to disconnet the sir coil and the horn switch. finally you will see three holes like a triangle shape pattern remove these screws (same size as the steering wheel shroud). the wiper swicth is now removed. then reassemble the other way around. thanks again Jon